Saturday, January 23, 2010




I just finished Sloppy Firsts. Now let me start by saying that this book was nothing like I expected. I had read the back in the bookstore and it said things like, "When her best friend moves away from Pineville, sixteen year old Jessica Darling is devastated.", and " How is she supposed to deal with the boy- and shopping- crazy girls at school, her dads obsession with her track meets, and her mother salivating over her big sisters lavish wedding?" I was expecting a nice censored peek into the life of a sixteen year old high school girl dealing with drama and crushes. 
What I wasn’t expecting was the "C" word thrown around with a few "GD's" in the mix. A whole bunch more sex than I thought I would have found in a teenagers book. Then I remember I didn’t find this in the teen section. I found it in the fiction section. That explains a lot. 
So it’s about a girl named Jessica Darling and her best friend Hope just moved very far away. Jessica is addicted to running track and her dad is herself appointed coach. Its seems to be all he cares about. Her mother doesn’t seem to accept who she is and doesn’t really try to find out, her sister is just a total bitch, but Jessica points that out a few times in the book for you. 
It’s a great weekend read with an ending exciting enough to make you want to go get the next one. Apparently there are five out. I am interested in how the story unfolds in the next one, but I’m not chomping at the bit, clubbing old ladies, running to my nearest bookstore to get it. I figure I’ll grab it next time I’m there, but I’m not going to make a special trip. I would recommend you read this as long as you don’t have any other books you would rather read. 
Now don’t get me wrong, I liked it, and maybe the second book will make me a diehard fan, but I would rate this book 6 out of 10. A bit harsh since I would pretty much read anything, but it has all the fixings to make you realize and notice this is the first try at the character.

No comments:

Post a Comment